A good sorbet should be tarte, smooth and ice cold! With the citrus and sweetness of the passionfruit, this sorbet is one of my absolute favourites.
Top tip: The wrinklier the skin of the passionfruit, the sweeter the fruit is inside.
Passionfruit – 10
Orange Juice (smooth, fresh) – 50mls
Egg White – 1
Caster Sugar – 150g
1. Scoop out the edible fleshy part of the passionfruit and place in a bowl. Discard the skins (unless you want to serve the sorbet in the skins!).
2. Place the orange juice and caster sugar in a small pan. Heat until the sugar has dissolved and a syrup is formed.
3. Place the syrup and passionfruit into a food processor and whizz until smooth. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve, removing any seeds and lumps of flesh.
4. Beat the egg white until stiff, and fold into the passionfruit mixture.
5. After this time, re-process the mixture in your food processor. This removes any ice crystals that have formed. Repeat at least twice more, to make a smooth sorbet. (This process can be replaced by using an ice-cream maker, or liquid nitrogen if you’re Heston Blumenthal!)