This is another creation from my left-overs, but once again not your average left-overs! I like to discover new dishes by grabbing whatever is left in the fridge, and this time I had chicken, spinach and filo pastry.
Top tip: Make sure you use a greased surface to cook these parcels on, otherwise they will stick down and be ruined!
Spinach – 1/2 bag
Chicken – 2 breasts
Onion – 1/2
Dill – 1 handful
White Wine – 150mls
Chicken Stock – 150mls
Butter – 50g
Filo Pastry – 4 sheets
Egg – 1
Garlic – 1 clove
Plain Flour – 2 tsp
1. Dice the chicken into chunks, dice the onion roughly, and peel and crush the garlic. Melt 1/2 the butter in a large frying pan and sauté the onion and garlic until soft. Add the flour and cook for a further minute.
2. Add the white wine gradually at first, stirring continuously, and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken breasts, dill, and stock to the pan and continue to simmer until the chicken is cooked through. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
3. Place the spinach leaves with the remaining butter in a microwavable container with a lid, and cook on high for 1 minute. Drain once done, and use a plate to press down on the spinach to squeeze all the excess water out.
4. On a greased piece of grease-proof paper, place 2 filo sheets on top of each other. In the center of the sheets place 1/2 the pressed spinach, and then some of the chicken mixture on top. Repeat for the second parcel.
5. To make the parcel, gather up the corners of the Filo sheets and brush with whisked egg to seal and glaze.
6. Cook in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes, or until golden brown.