Chicken biryani is a popular and flavorful Indian dish that consists of spiced chicken, fragrant basmati rice, and a variety of aromatic herbs and spices.
- 1 kg boneless chicken
- 3 cups basmati rice
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 2-3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2-3 cinnamon sticks
- 6-8 cloves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2-3 cardamom pods
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
- 1 tsp rose water
- 1 tsp saffron strands
- In a large pot, heat the oil and ghee together. Add the bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, cloves, cumin seeds, black peppercorns, fennel seeds, and cardamom pods. Fry the spices for a few minutes until fragrant.
- Add the sliced onions and green chilies to the pot and sauté until the onions are golden brown.
- Add the yogurt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and salt.
- Add the chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves to the pot. Cover the pot and let it cook on medium-low heat for about 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is fully cooked.
- In a small bowl, soak the saffron strands in rose water.
- Once the rice is cooked, sprinkle the saffron water over the top and mix it gently with a fork.
- Garnish the biryani with more coriander and mint leaves and serve hot with raita and papadum.
Enjoy your delicious chicken biryani!